Tuesday, December 15, 2009

There's Only One (?) Way

Matthew 7:21 “Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.”
This seems to contradict what I was taught as a child, and another verse somewhere (James maybe?) that said that good deeds are like filthy rags.
I was always taught that you had to “confess with your mouth, Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead” in order to be saved (Romans…something). But here, it seems Jesus wants his followers to lead lives that follow God’s will.
But how can we know what God’s will is?
I hear my parents always saying (to an extent) that I’m leading a life against God’s will. I’m not following his plan. I shouldn’t be homosexual.
I work with teens, some are troubled, some are not. I have a committed relationship with one person whom I love dearly. I feel that I am a very spiritual person, and that I try to do what’s “good” and “right” – and, personally, the best I can to do what’s right in the eyes of God.
How then am I living against His will?
I was also taught that if you confess – even just once – you’re saved forever…no matter what you do afterwards. I think this troubles my parents now. I became “saved” when I was young, so according to their rules, I’m saved now.
I don’t know. This verse seems to be very much like an instruction: lead a good life in the eyes of God. Do His will.
I need to pay attention to what others say throughout the Bible.

2 comments:

  1. "I hear my parents always saying (to an extent) that I’m leading a life against God’s will. I’m not following his plan. I shouldn’t be homosexual.
    I work with teens, some are troubled, some are not. I have a committed relationship with one person whom I love dearly. I feel that I am a very spiritual person, and that I try to do what’s “good” and “right” – and, personally, the best I can to do what’s right in the eyes of God.
    How then am I living against His will?"


    It was these very types of conundrums and trying to answer them adequately for myself that made me exit a more conservative Christian lifestyle for a more generic "spiritual" one. I have really come to feel that following the will of God is listening very closely to my inner self and my heart. Yeah, I think this sounds good to me: "lead a good life in the eyes of God. Do His will."

    This made me think of Micah 6:8: "He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

    (Whoa. I did not know I could still pull those out, hahahahahaha!) So, you know, if you are acting justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly, I think you're doing it. The Will. Inshallah (hahahaha).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karin- amazing insight. Hopefully we can get some more posts up here soon so we can continue to hear your thoughts.

    Not at all to be contrary, but the philosophy professor in my head (there's been one there since i dated him in college...) wonders if that way of life is essentially moral relativism?

    that's certainly not a deragatory statement by any means. it's just to say that individuals may contain the ability to make moral judgements only based on their own perception of right and wrong, a basis which may be influenced by society but is ultimately deeply rooted in one's being. essentially we're the only ones who can judge what we believe is godly or ungodly.

    aggggh! so many questions.

    ReplyDelete