Thursday, October 1, 2009

Libby's Introduction

Perhaps I should begin with an introduction of myself. I’m Libby Colorado, a 27-year old Christian lesbian.

Let the hate mail begin.

I grew up as a Born Again Christian, and I went to church more times in seventeen years than some adults have in their whole lives. Women in my assembly wear headcoverings (thanks, Paul), and are not allowed to lead worship, singing, or prayer in any way (thanks again, Paul).

Thanks to Julie and Julia, Hillary and I decided to embark upon a spiritual quest of sorts: read the Bible in a year.

Admittedly, I’m starting this biblical adventure in a strange place: not at Genesis, like Hillary, but at Matthew.

I have no desire to read the Bible “in order,” because my purpose in completing this 365 day journey is for my own spiritual awareness. I have no connection to Genesis right now. I need something different.

I need to start with the Gospels.

There is a certain comfort I have in knowing that with Jesus there with them, the disciples still fucked it up. Crass? Yes. True? Yes. Jesus was there, talking with them, explaining to them, reiterating ideas for them, and the Gospels repeatedly state, “But they did not understand.”

It is pleasant to know that even when Jesus was around, people still did not “get it.” I need to focus on those stories. I’m going to post my order later tonight or tomorrow.

We begin on October 1, and we end on September 30, 2010. Here we go.

5 comments:

  1. A question for you: What translation did you settle upon for your readings? The KJV is the one most ultra-traditionalists use, but newer translations (e.g., NIV, CEV) are considered more scholarly works (mostly because they translated directly from manuscripts in the original languages, rather than the KJV's translation coming through an intermediary translation {a Latin one, if memory serves correctly}).

    Letting us know what you're reading would let us follow along, or at least check out any particularly interesting points you make.

    I don't think starting in the Gospels is so odd. I think most people these days don't have a connection to the Old Testament accounts. IMO, only those who got tons of Sunday school and Christian education in some of the more liturgical churches have much exposure to the Old Testament at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am definitely using the KJV, as I was brought up to only really read that version. I had an NIV bible when I was younger, but when I turned 12, received my KJV, which I've read ever since.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I commend you for KJV because that is all greek to me. LOL I read the ESV version and NIV version but do a lot of cross reference in Strongs. You can find it at lifeway.com. My husband started out just reading the red words in the New Testament. He wanted to know what Jesus said first before embarking on the whole bible. There is also a daily 365 day plan. Each day you read a bit of old, bit of new and Psalm and Proverb. by the time you have finished you would have read OT once and the NT twice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cool is this? :) You guys rock for doing this!

    I am a used-to-be Born Again Christian, now a kinda Woo Woo Spiritual Person that would fit a lot better in a Unitarian Church than a Baptist one (although, I have "been there, done that"). I think this is a great idea on a lot of levels, though. From a literary POV, it's good, from a historical/social POV it's good, and from a spiritual perspective, too. It's all good!

    I am going to add as a Follower so I can keep up with y'all. Happy reading!

    (And Libby, it's me, Karin, who used to teach with you in SEC. I saw on FB that you posted here & wanted to check it out!! :) )

    ReplyDelete